Customs Duties or A tax charged on certain goods which are brought into a coun... and taxes will be pending and need to be cleared while importing goods into Laos Either by a private individual or a commercial entity.
The valuation method is CIF.
- The sum of the value of the imported goods and the cost of shipping and insurance.
- Along with A tax charged on certain goods which are brought into a coun..., import goods are also subjected to VAT and Excise Duty.
Below is the Duty and Known as VAT (Value Added Tax) in the UK. A tax based on the... for Laos :
|Duty Rates||Average Duty Rate||Sales Tax(GST)||Threshold on goods|
|5% to 40%||11.27%||ST = 10%
VAT = ST * (CIF + Duty+ other taxes)
- As there is no threshold, all the products are subjected to duty and other taxes irrespective of their values.
- Duty rates are based on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) harmonised A government tax on imported and exported goods. nomenclature for imports from ASEAN member countries (ASEAN The buying and selling or exchange of goods and services. Th... in Goods Agreement [ATIGA]).
- Lao PDR has also signed free The buying and selling or exchange of goods and services. Th... agreements (FTAs) with ASEAN dialogue countries: Australia and New Zealand (under their Closer Economic Relations FTA), China, India, Japan, and Korea; otherwise, normal rates are applied. Duty rates range between 0% and 40%, depending on whether the goods are ASEAN or other source.
Below is the Excise duty in Laos :
|Products||Rates for 2016-2017||Rates for 2018-2019||Rates for 2020 and after|
|Lubricants, hydraulic oil, grease, and brake oil||5%||9%|
|Compressed natural gas for vehicles||10%|
|Liquor or alcoholic drinks:|
|Liquor or drinks with alcoholic content of 20 percent and over||30%||50%||70%|
|Liquor, wine and other drinks with alcoholic content under 20 percent||25%||45%||60%|
|Soft drinks, sodas, mineral water, fruit juices and other similar drinks||5%|
|Cigarettes in packages||30%||45%||60%|
|Crystal items or crystal adornments||20%|
|Carpets with a value of LAK1 million or more||15%|
|Furniture sets (sofas) with a value of LAK10 million or more||15%|
|Perfumes and cosmetics||20%|
|Playing cards and gambling materials if authorized by the relevant sectors||90%|
|Traditional rockets, fireworks, firecrackers if authorized by the relevant sectors||80%|
|With engine volume of 110 cc and lower||20%|
|With engine volume of 111-150 cc||30%|
|With engine volume of 151-250 cc||40%|
|With engine volume of 251-500 cc||60%|
|With engine volume of 501 cc or more||80%|
|That use clean energy||5%|
|Motorbike spare parts||5%|
|Vehicles using fuel:|
|With engine volume of 1,000 cc and lower||25%|
|With engine volume of 1,001-1,600 cc||30%|
|With engine volume of 1,601-2,000 cc||35%|
|With engine volume of 2,001-2,500 cc||40%|
|With engine volume of 2,501-3,000 cc||45%|
|With engine volume of 3,001-4,000 cc||70%|
|With engine volume of 4,001-5,000 cc||80%|
|With engine volume of 5,001 cc or more||90%|
|Vehicles using clean energy||10%|
|Small transport vehicles (2-door pick-ups, trucks):|
|using clean energy||5%|
|Medium transport vehicles:|
|using clean energy||5%|
|Large transport vehicles:|
|using clean energy||3%|
|Vehicle spare parts||5%|
|Accessories for vehicles||20%|
|Speedboats, yachts, motorboats, including their spare parts and accessories||20%|
|Satellite television signal receivers, audio-video players, cameras, telephones, audio-video recorders, musical instruments,including their components and accessories||20%|
|Electrical appliances, including air conditioners, washing machines, vacuum cleaners||20%|
|Billiard tables, snooker tables, bowling equipment, football playing tables||30%|
|All kinds of game players||35%|
Please refer detailed information of excise duty for Laos here.