Customs Duty Calculator

Taxes in Australia

Below are the different Categories of taxes in Australia.

  • Australian government taxes
  • State taxes
  • Local government taxes

Australian government taxes:

  • Individuals and other withholding taxes: Taxable income of individuals, including from wages, salaries, allowances, interest, dividends and rents.
  • Company tax: Taxable income of companies
  • Goods and services tax: Taxable supplies of goods and services and taxable importations of most goods
  • Excise duty: Fuel products, alcohol and tobacco
  • Superannuation funds: Contributions to and earnings of superannuation funds
  • Customs duties: Various imported goods, including textiles, clothing and footwear and motor vehicles
  • Fringe benefits tax: Taxable benefits provided to employees (or their associates) in respect of their employment
  • Petroleum resource rent tax: Profits above a normal rate of return from extracting petroleum
  • Wine equalization tax: Wine and wine products, cider, perry, mead and sake
  • Agricultural levies: Various agricultural products
  • Luxury car tax: Vehicles with a GST‑inclusive value above the luxury car threshold
  • Other taxes: Comprised primarily of revenue from other regulatory taxes, industry levies and licence fees

State taxes:

  • Payroll tax: Employers’ payrolls, including most forms of employee benefits
  • Stamp duty on conveyances: Value of properties upon transfer
  • Motor vehicle taxes: Value of vehicles upon transfer and other fees associated with the registration of vehicles
  • Gambling taxes: Generally ‘player loss’ from various forms of gambling, including lotteries, gaming machines, casinos and racing
  • Land tax: Unimproved value of land, generally exempting principal places of residence and land used in agricultural production
  • Insurance taxes: Insurance premiums and insurance policies
  • Other taxes: Includes a range of other levies and financial transaction taxes

Local government taxes:

  • Municipal rates: Value of properties. Rates vary by jurisdiction and type of land. In some jurisdictions, local government tax revenue may also include other taxes on immovable property.

Other taxes are:

  • Capital gains tax: This type of tax is accounted for within the income tax return itself and you do not have to file a separate return for capital gains tax. This type of tax has to be paid only if you have benefitted from capital gains in any particular year. Hence, if you have sold off any business assets such as property, plant and machinery, or stocks and have made a profit from such a sale, then that profit is known as capital gains and may be liable for capital gains tax.
  • Fringe benefit tax (FBT): BT is payable on all the fringe benefits that an employer may be providing to his employees. FBT is not paid on the entire fringe benefit but a certain percentage of the benefit is considered for FBT calculations.
  • Pay as you go (PAYG) tax: PAYG tax is paid on your expected business income and income from other investments. As a company, you may not only have to pay this type of tax on your business income, but may also have to withhold pay as you go tax from your employees and pay it on their behalf. The amount of tax that you withhold will depend on the employee’s salary as well as their expected income tax liability at the end of the year. This tax is typically paid in instalments throughout the year.